The collaboration between Nectar and Technasium Lyceum Schöndeln
Technasium is a formula for STEM education at Dutch high schools. The formula has existed since 2004 and focuses on Research & Design (In Dutch: ‘’Onderzoeken en Ontwerpen’’), whereby students work on STEM projects in groups. The projects mainly consist out of scientific and or practical topics. Havo and vwo students can choose for this formula, and can continue with it until their exams. Because of this, students develop several competences and skills needed in STEM, such as creativity, entrepreneurship, collaboration, inventiveness, communication, planning, project work, organizing and process and knowledge-oriented work.
The Netherlands wants a leading position in the knowledge economy. That is only possible if there are sufficient, highly educated, technologists. Unfortunately, not enough people choose further education related to technology, hard skills and science. Technasium strives towards a better influx of students into those STEM related academic courses.
The formula consists of 5 characteristics:
- Activating didactics: Technasium teachers have a coaching role and get fitting training.
- Collaboration with businesses and higher education: To gain a link between education and actual practice, collaboration with businesses, higher education and Technasium has been established.
- Exam subject: Technasium provides lessons in Research and Design.
- Technasium Workplace: Every Technasium has its own workplace.
- Education with modern beta-culture: Every Technasium spends time on talent development and activities outside the school environment, such as the Technasium Top Awards.