- 3D Printing has been used in space flight, rocket systems and satellites for a number of years.
- Applications for the use of 3D Printing in space flight are growing.
- The main reasons to use the technology to save weight, faster part development, lower cost of parts, new geometries that can not be made in another way and new applications.
- Satellites, rocket engines and parts for use by astronauts on board space craft are being printed.
- For long term space exploration research is being done in 3D Printing space craft, 3D Printing in space craft and 3D Printing on planets.
3D Printing has been used by space agencies and commercial companies working in space for a number of years. Through producing unique parts quickly the technology is seen as a cost effective solution for producing parts for space. 3D Printing also lets you make weight saving parts that can not be made with other technologies. 3D Printed parts can also be designed in such a way as to dramatically reduce the number of parts. This saves weight, time and assembly cost and risk. By using 3D Printing the space industry can also iteratively continually improve its designs and create better parts more quickly. In this post we’ll look at the mayor ways in which 3D Printing is currently being used for space.